I am powering a hifonics brutus 12 inch sub i bought here with this amp, I like how it has the internal cross over so it works well with subwoofers. I also use the amp to power my mains in my dj sett up, the mids and highs are also great sounding when using this amp. the amp stays really cool, i have used it for hours and it is never even warm, i have used it for outdoor gigs too, and it still stays cool. The amp is also really light weight so it made my amp rack way lighter(my old amp weighed almost 40 lbs).
Crown Audio XLS 1000
1100W, 2 Channel DriveCore Stereo Power Amplifier
Crown's XLS Series amplifiers define the standard for portable PA systems with unmatched performance, technology and affordability. Its advantageous flexibility includes multiple inputs so you can plug in anything and play anywhere, along with several system setup configurations. The integrated crossovers and switch-mode power supply produce superior sound, and Peakx™ limiters protect your speakers. Weighing less than 12 pounds, compared to 40 pounds for its competitors, it's much easier to set up and move from show to show. Simply put, the XLS is most reliable, versatile, efficient amp available today.XLS Series with Integrated DriveCore™ Technology
The XLS Series of power amplifiers from Crown define the standard for live sound systems with unmatched performance, technology, and affordability.
This high-performance line consists of four models each providing enormous power and flexibility thanks to the integrated DriveCore™ Technology, PureBand™ Crossover System and Peakx™ limiters. And weighing in at only 10 lbs or less, they provide the ultimate in lightweight portability.Integrated DriveCore™ Technology
Class D amplifiers are notable for extraordinarily high efficiency and being well suited for driving difficult reactive loads such as subwoofers. However, their performance can suffer impaired performance on marginal and unstable AC line supplies.
To overcome this obstacle, Crown engineers developed DriveCore™ Technology – a proprietary hybrid analog-digital integrated circuit (IC) developed with Texas Instruments that drives the "front end" of the Class D output stage. Over 60 years of Crown's design knowledge and experience went into the development of this technology resulting in truly remarkable benefits.
DriveCore™ Technology provides an extremely wide-tolerance with regards to sagging or "dirty" AC line conditions providing consistent performance without affecting audio quality. This means that your performance will not be compromised by fluctuating generator power or overloading by lighting rigs, backline gear, etc.
In addition, DriveCore™ Technology's patented feedback and PWM modulation circuits enable fast recovery on peak transients, accurate reproduction of low-level detail, and precise tracking of low-frequencies at high power levels for maximum subwoofer output.Advanced Switched-Mode Power Supply
This advanced power supply is highly efficient and optimized for maximum power transfer from the AC line through the Class D output stage to the loudspeakers. A benefit to this is substantial weight reduction when compared to older 60Hz transformer-based power supplies. All four models in the line weigh 10 pounds or less with no compromise in performance. This makes the XLS Series the benchmark for high performance lightweight portability.PureBand™ Crossover System:
The PureBand™ Crossover System in the XLS Series adds an enormous amount of flexibility and performance to any system. With this system, the crossover frequency is completely variable allowing the choice of any crossover point between 50Hz and 3kHz on 1/12 octave centers. The use of 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filters provides steep slopes for a seamless transition between high and low drivers. And with four crossover modes to choose from providing the ultimate in flexibility, all of your system needs are covered.Peakx™ limiters
Peakx™ limiters provide the ultimate in performance and protection for your entire system. This advanced algorithm was specifically developed and tuned to work with this amplifier and power-supply to achieve higher SPL will less audible artifacts. This means less distortion, less shutdowns, and maximum safe power delivered to your speakers. The Peakx™ limiters can be easily turned on or off by channel right from the front panel eliminating the need to be digging around in the back of the dark rack.
- XLS High Performance, Lightweight Class D Amplifier
- RMS Power Rating:
- 8 ohms: 215 watts x 2 chan.
- 4 ohms: 350 watts x 2 chan.
- 2 ohm: 550 watts x 2 chan.
- Bridged, 8 ohms: 700 watts x 1 chan.
- Bridged, 4 ohms: 1100 watts x 1 chan.
- Integrated PureBand™ Crossover System for better performance and control
- Peakx Limiters provide maximum output while protecting your speakers
- XLR, 1/4", RCA inputs provide outstanding flexibility
- Efficient forced-air fans prevent excessive thermal buildup
- Electronically balanced XLR inputs; touchproof binding post and Speakon® outputs
- Precision detented level controls, power switch, power LED, and six LEDs which indicate signal, clip and fault for each channel
- 1-year Manufacturer's warranty
- Sensitivity (for full rated power at 4 ohms): 1.4 Vrms
- Frequency Response (at 1 watt, 20 Hz - 20 kHz): +0 dB, –1 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio Rated as dBr to full rated 8Ω power output (A-Weighted):
- XLS1000: > 97 dB
- XLS1500, XLS2000, XLS2500: > 103 dB
- Damping Factor (8 ohm) - 10 Hz to 400 Hz: > 200
- Crosstalk (below rated 8Ω power):
- At 1kHz: > 85dB
- At 20kHz: >55dB
- Input Impedance (nominal): 20 kΩ balanced, 10 kΩ unbalanced
- Load Impedance:
- 2 to 8 Ω per channel in Stereo
- 4 to 8 Ω in Bridge Mono
- AC Line Voltage and Frequency Configuration: 120 VAC 60 Hz
- Ventilation: Flow-through ventilation from front to back
- Cooling: Internal heat sinks with forced-air cooling for rapid, uniform heat dissipation
- Air Volume Requirements (per minute per unit): 80.15 ft³ (2.27 m³)
- Integrated Processing:
- PureBand™ Crossover System
- Crossover Filter: Linkwitz-Riley 24dB per Octave
- Crossover Frequency Range: 50 HZ - 3 kHz
- Crossover Mode: Crossover (CH1=LPF, CH2=HPF), LowPass (both channels LPF), HighPass (both channels HPF), Bridge (LPF or HPF)
- Peakx™ limiters: Channel independent clip limiter designed to provide maximum output while protecting your loudspeakers
- Input Connectors: XLR (one per channel), 1/4-Inch (one per channel), and RCA (one per channel). 1/4-Inch connectors can be used as loop-thrus to distribute signal to additional amplifiers
- Output Connectors: Two 4-Pole Speakon® Output Connectors accept 2-pole or 4-pole Speakon® connectors. The top Speakon connector is wired for both channels so it can be used for bridgemono wiring or for stereo wiring of two speakers to a single Speakon connector
- One pair of back-panel binding posts per channel; accepts banana plugs or bare wire. (European models do not accept banana plugs.)
- XLS1000/XLS1500: 8.12-Inch (20.62cm) depth
- XLS2000/XLS2500: 10.35-Inch (26.29cm) depth
- EIA Standard 19-inch (48.3-cm) rack mount width (EIA RS-310-B), 3.5-inch (8.9-cm) height.
- XLS 1000/1500: 7.7-inch (19.6-cm) depth.
- XLS 2000/2500: 10.7-inch (27.2-cm) depth.
- Net Weight, Shipping Weight:
- XLS1000: 8.6 lb (3.9kg), 13.6 lb (6.2 kg)
- XLS1500: 8.6 lb (3.9kg), 13.6 lb (6.2 kg)
- XLS2000: 10.75 lb (4.9kg), 15.8 lb (7.1 kg)
- XLS2500: 10.75 lb (4.9kg), 15.8 lb (7.1 kg)
An amplifier increases the power of the signal being fed to it by taking energy from its power supply and matching the signal but increasing its amplitude. Amplifiers use many different methods for converting these electrical signals and have been categorized into classes.
Class A/B: Greater than 50% of the input signal is amplified while the other percentage is “off”. These amplifiers have a small amount of current flowing through the output transistors all the time which almost eliminates crossover distortion. Class A/B has great sound quality but is not as efficient as class D. These amps are most commonly used to drive speakers.
Class D: Also known as switching amplifiers, class D amps have output transistors that are completely turned “on” or “off”. This means that when the transistors are on, there is almost no voltage across them but when they are off there is significant voltage but no current flowing through it which makes these amplifiers very efficient at the cost of sound quality. These amps are most commonly used to drive subwoofers.Other Classes: You may see classes such as GH, bD, X, FD, etc. by some manufactures. These amplifiers tend to be either class A/B, D or a hybrid of the two but with improvements to their designs that can make them more efficient or offer better sound quality.
Specials with this Item
Warranty and Return Policy
Summary of Customer Ratings & Reviews
December 15, 2012
I am using the XLS 1000 for mid and high range in my workshop. I am a speaker building hobbyist and the Crown XLS line of products offers the input/output flexibility I need. Unlike a lot of pro audio amplifiers, the XLS line (I am currently using 2 XLS1000, 1 XLS2000 and 1 XLS2500) is hiss free even with the gains set high. I have read past reviews that mention fan noise, but I have not been able to hear the fans of my amps even after a long period of use at or near their limits. You will not find a more reliable amp with this kind of performance and feature set in their price range.
3 of 4 found this helpful
Internal Product ID
Wiring Diagram Legend
Warning: The image depicted shows the resistance change when wiring multiple subwoofer terminals. Please refer to your subwoofer's owner's manual for the proper wiring of its terminals. Sonic Electronix, Inc. is not responsible for damage caused to your audio system or vehicle due to improper installation. Please call tech support at 1-877-289-7664 if you require additional assistance.