This gps has been great for my wife. She has had no problems using it or figuring out how to use the different features. This Garmin kicks my tom tom in the dirt. I would definitely recommend it, and have, to friends and family.
Garmin nuvi 855 (nüvi® 855 - MPN: 010-00577-31)
Portable Voice-Activated GPS Navigation System w/ 4.3" Touch Screen, SD Card Port and MP3 Playback
- 4.3" Touch Screen Portable GPS Navigation System
- Wide Quarter Video Graphics Array (WQVGA) sunlight readable TFT color display with white backlight
- 480 x 272 pixel display resolution
- Removable lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- High-sensitivity internal (non flip-up) antenna for a thinner design
- Built-in internal solid state memory
- Internal dual speakers for MP3 playback and voice navigation
- Garmin Lock™ anti-theft feature
- Dimensions: 3/4"D x 5"W x 3-1/16"H
- 1-year Manufacturer's warranty
- Innovative speech recognition software listens to your voice commands
- Lane assist with junction view guides you to the proper lane for navigation
- Pre-loaded City Navigator® NT North America street maps and millions of points of interest (POIs)
- Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 300 ft.")
- Text to speech feature speaks street names (e.g. "Turn left ON AVENUE CROCKER in 300 ft.")
- Auto sorts through multiple destinations to provides the most direct route of travel
- Auto re-route features provides fast off-route and detour recalculation to get you back on track
- 2-D or 3-D map display with turn-by-turn voice directions
- Garmin Locate™ feature remembers where you parked when removed from the windshield mount
- Where Am I? feature finds the closest hospitals, police and gas stations, nearest address and intersection
- 500 savable way points, favorites, and locations
- Up to ten routes may be saved with the route planning feature
- Displays speed limits for highways, interstates and most major roads
- Trip log provides an electronic bread crumb trail of up to 10,000 points, allowing you to see where you have been on the map
- Route avoidance allows you to avoid highways, toll roads, etc.
- Photo navigation allows you to download Google™ Panoramio™ pictures and navigate to them
- Updated or new maps can be uploaded to the built-in memory or an SD card
- Built-in FM transmitter connects the Nüvi to your vehicle's stereo to hear music, voice prompts, etc.
- Compatible with optional FM traffic alerts or optional MSN® Direct content
- Steering wheel mountable remote control activates voice command features
- Download custom vehicle icons or voices with free Garmin Garage that displays your location on the map
- Built-in SD card slot and headphone line-out jack
- MP3 player
- Audio book player (subscription to Audible.com required)
- JPEG picture viewer
- Currency converters
- Garmin Games
- Alarm clock and more
- Nüvi 850
- Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America
- Remote for voice activation
- Vehicle suction cup mount
- Vehicle power cable
- Lithium Ion battery
- USB cable
- Dashboard disc
- Quick start manual
Portable GPS Features
More uses of Bluetooth technology include transmitting music to a compatible receiver, printing wirelessly from a computer, and many other wireless uses. Please see the item description for more specific information regarding what features the unit includes.
Road: These navigation devices assist in driving.
Sports: These navigation devices are used primarily for sports such as golf, cycling, and other fitness sports.
Trail: These navigation devices are used for off road and trail applications.
Water: These navigation devices are used on boats and for marine applications.
City and Road Data: This includes all the maps, road, and street data that are commonly used. They are designed for use in cars, trucks, and most vehicles that travel on the road.
Rivers, Lakes, and Coastline Data: This includes all the necessary data that is used for marine and boat applications.
Address: The user is able to enter a specific address and the unit will navigate there.
City: The unit is able to navigate to a city, without a specific address needed. A great feature when traveling across several states or provinces.
Coordinates: This is a convenient feature for when you have specific longitude and latitude values.
Favorites: These are shortcuts that you can set for easy access to commonly traveled locations. Examples could include your home, office, favorite restaurant, movie theater, or any other frequently traveled location.
Home: Program and save your home address for fast and simple navigation to your home.
Intersection: Searches for specific cross-streets rather than a specific address.
Map Browsing: This feature enables the user to point to a location on the navigation screen and choose to navigate there. A great feature for when you visually know where you want to go, but are not sure of the address or intersection.
Phone Number: Search for locations by their phone number. Perfect for when you know the phone number of a restaurant or similar locations, but do not have the address. Also convenient when a store has many locations and you need to go to the one that you have previously called.
Point-of-Interest (POI) Name: Search by name for Points-of-Interst such as restaurants, ATMS, banks, hotels, recreation, hospitals, shopping, and more!
Point-of-Interest (POI) Vicinity: Search for Points-of-Interst that are close by to your current location. Points-Of-Interests include restaurants, ATMS, banks, hotels, recreation, hospitals, shopping, and more!
Points-of-Interest (POI) Type: Search for Points-of-Interst by there category. These include restaurants, ATMS, banks, hotels, recreation, hospitals, shopping, and more!
Quick Search: Allows the user to search for specified POI's that are commonly used.
Recent (Previous) Searches: This feature will load the users recent searches for fast navigation back to them.
Route: This allows the user to select a route that has been previously established.
Point-of-Interest (POI) Name
Point-of-Interest (POI) Vicinity
Points-of-Interest (POI) Type
Warranty and Return Policy
Summary of Customer Ratings & Reviews
January 11, 2010
1. Unit only comes with "Quick Start" manual. Owners Manual for the 855 has to be down loaded from Garmin website.
2. After 1 sucessfull usage, unit would "freeze" during bootup. Evidently this is a recurring or known problem for the Nuvi 800 series as Garmin has posted a software patch available for download, also at their website. No post patch download problems with 1 usage since to date.
3. Power ON/OFF switch is tiny.
2 of 3 found this helpful
Internal Product ID
Wiring Diagram Legend
Warning: The image depicted shows the resistance change when wiring multiple subwoofer terminals. Please refer to your subwoofer's owner's manual for the proper wiring of its terminals. Sonic Electronix, Inc. is not responsible for damage caused to your audio system or vehicle due to improper installation. Please call tech support at 1-877-289-7664 if you require additional assistance.